6.12.2008

Hello? Can anyone hear me?? HELLO??

Have you ever felt like you are speaking but nobody hears you? You know that feeling of being amongst a group where everyone is talking at the same time, and you know not a single person heard what you said. Or what about while driving your car and another car pulls up beside you with their coffee mug on the roof of their car... you try to get their attention and mouth the words "your... coffee... is... up... there". They shrug. They can't read your lips. It's like a bad dream when you're running but not getting anywhere... only this time it's your mouth and no sound is coming out.

That's what I feel like every time I converse with my girlfriend. I tell her who I am, but she can't hear me. I tell her about my social anxiety, but she gets angry that I don't want to go out all the time. I tell her if she wants me to be social with her, if she wants me to come out with her, it would be more comforting if we went out together. I tell her it hurts my feelings when I'm scheduled to be off work at 8pm, and I get a text message at 7:50pm from her saying she's heading out to the bar with friends. And she does it again the next week and two weeks after that. Then she complains that there's no passion anymore. I tell her I want more quality time with her... the hour before work when we're getting ready and the couple hours before bed when we're exhausted from our days don't count... then she makes plans with a friend when we're both off at 5pm the next day... and she signs herself up for a bike run on our one full day off together. Again, she complains about not feeling close to me. I tell her my needs... what will elicit an emotional connection from me, and she does the opposite. It makes me wonder... why? Does she not care? Can she not hear me? Are my needs too much for her? Am I being unclear? Is she trying to prove something to me?

Please. Tell me. What do you think? I'm beginning to lose it over here.

No comments: